Pancakes are the foreign name for overseas pancakes. In essence, these are all the same pancakes, or even closer to pancakes, because they are usually baked in a small size and rather plump. Typically, classic pancakes are baked into the perfect round shape by pouring the dough into the pan. At the same time, the pan should be dry and with a non-stick coating, then you will get truly lush and velvety pancakes.
Ready-made pancakes are usually stacked and poured with various delicious sauces, maple syrup, honey, jam. You can place banana slices or sweet fresh berries between the pancakes, or even whipped cream.
Pancakes are a very popular western breakfast and dessert. For us, this is an interesting way to make unusual pancakes. Variety in the kitchen only adds interest to those who cook and especially those who eat. Therefore, let's explore the recipes for making real classic pancakes and their variety.
American pancakes - classic recipe
For me, pancakes have always been a separate and distinct dish from ordinary pancakes. Despite the fact that even the method of preparing the dough is similar. At one time I was interested in how classic pancakes are prepared in their homeland and the result only convinced me that pancakes and pancakes are very close relatives. The only difference that is important for me personally is how the pancake dough is beaten more, sometimes more eggs and baking powder are added, that is, it turns out to be more fluffy, almost like flat fried biscuits. And the second difference is the method of frying. Pancakes are fried with a minimum of oil so that they don't have a crispy crust like pancakes and leave a soft, velvety, baked side. Well, the round shape is average between pancakes and pancakes in size. That's what pancakes are for me.
Maybe you perceive them differently, this is your right. But let's get back to the recipe.
For classic American pancakes you will need:
- flour - 2 cups,
- milk - 300 ml,
- eggs - 2 pieces,
- sugar - 3 tablespoons,
- salt - a pinch
- baking powder - 1 teaspoon,
- vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons,
- vanilla sugar - 1 teaspoon
1. Combine eggs with salt and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk well with a mixer or whisk. American pancakes are characterized by whipped, airy dough, like biscuits.
2. Heat milk a little, do not boil. Then add it to the egg fluffy mass. Pour in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil at once. take a mixer again and stir thoroughly. This time, you don't need to beat for a long time.
3. Add the sifted flour. Try not to avoid the stage of sifting flour when cooking pancakes, this saturates the dough with air and they will only turn out fluffier. For sifting, you can use a special mug, or you can take the simplest home sieve. The main thing is that the flour stuck together from storage loosen up and become crumbly and airy.
4. Add baking powder and vanilla sugar with flour. It can also be replaced with vanilla, but less is required due to its richer flavor. Beat the dough with a mixer until all the lumps are gone.
5. If you doubt whether your pancake dough is the right thickness, I will tell you the most correct association. With it, the dough will not be too thick, as for pancakes, or too thin, as for thin pancakes. Your dough should be like condensed milk in consistency. This is necessary so that the pancake is poured into the pan, and not laid out like a pancake.
6. Now it's time to bake our classic pancakes. To do this, preheat a skillet and reduce heat to medium or slightly less. The pan should be non-stick and practically dry. Only for the first time can you smear it with oil, but at the same time rub it with a paper napkin, which will remove all excess. Take a handy small ladle or scoop and pour pancake one at a time. You can 2-3 if the pan is large, and the pancakes are small, but the first one is best baked alone. This will check the thickness of the dough and the temperature of the pan. Nobody canceled the first pancake.
7. Pancakes cook quite slowly, much like thick pancakes. They need time to bake and rise. Watch the top of it, it should start to fill with holes and get tight before you turn it over. If in doubt, you can see if the bottom side is fried, and only then turn it over.
8. The finished classic pancake should be golden or brown, evenly colored and fluffy.
Stack the finished pancakes. This is their traditional way of presenting them. And the way to eat them is also considered traditional, cutting with a fork and knife. Pancakes are poured with your favorite toppings (honey, syrup, sauce), you can add fresh fruit pieces or berries. Don't forget to put in a piece of butter!
Everything will be delicious. Bon Appetit!
How to cook classic pancakes with kefir or sour milk
The inhabitants of North America, where the pancake recipe came from, do not have kefir, so this method of cooking can be considered our adaptation of the dish you like. Since we calmly bake pancakes on kefir, why not bake pancakes on it. They are essentially the same pancakes with only minor differences. That is why the recipe for making classic pancakes will seem painfully familiar to you, but maybe it will still be new to someone.
You will need:
- kefir - 1 glass,
- flour - 1 glass
- egg - 1 pc,
- sugar - 3 tablespoons,
- salt - a pinch
- vegetable oil - 1 spoon,
- soda - a teaspoon without a top.
1. In a large, high-rimmed bowl, beat the egg and sugar until well creamy. They should lighten and thicken noticeably.
2. Heat the kefir slightly, up to 36-38 degrees, no more, otherwise it will curl into cottage cheese. Add warm kefir to beaten eggs, pour vegetable oil there. Now beat all this mass again.
3. Add the sifted flour. You can sift directly into a bowl using a special mug or sieve.
4. Take a whisk or mixer again and now stir the dough with it, whisking along the way until all the lumps are gone. A homogeneous thick dough like a cream turns out a consistency approximately like condensed milk.
5. Now it's time to add the baking soda to serve as a baking powder. It will react with sour kefir and our dough will begin to bubble. Pour in baking soda and stir the dough well, leave it to stand for 10-15 minutes, you will see how it will fill with bubbles.
6. Preheat a frying pan, the heat should be medium or slightly lower so that the pancakes have time to bake inside. You can use a special pancake maker, its temperature is already set. Pour each pancake using a ladle or other measuring utensils so that it pours out the same volume and the pancakes are the same size. The correct dough will flow itself into a round shape.
7. Bake on this side until the pancake is covered with large bubbles and slightly thicker.
8. The rosy side of the pancake should look uniformly toasted and beautiful. As soon as the pancake is like this on the other hand, it's time to remove and lay it on a plate in a pile.
Classic kefir pancakes are ready! Sprinkle each portion with honey or jam, add a lump of butter or whipped cream, add fruit. Act with your imagination. And invite everyone to the table for a delicious and beautiful breakfast!
Banana Pancakes - Step by Step Video Recipe
Have you heard of banana pancakes? Have you tried them? I recently tried it and realized that it was very, very in vain that I did not dare to cook them for so long. These are very, very tasty classic pancakes with banana puree. The deliciousness is incredible. And it is prepared according to almost the same recipe as the usual ones. A little higher, I have already described two whole options. You can choose any of them and add puree from one banana to them. The easiest way to make mashed potatoes is with a hand blender, quick and very simple. The puree then mixes wonderfully and easily into the dough. Bananas seem to be gone, but their divine taste is. Real jam.
If you still need a visual version of the process of making banana pancakes, then please watch this video, which also enlightened me on this topic.
A simple and delicious pumpkin pancake recipe
Not only are classic pancakes so good for breakfast, the many interesting variations on the recipe add to the delicious variety. One of the options, banana pancakes, I have already shown a little above, but what do you think about the idea of adding a pumpkin? It is also soft and sweet like a banana and can be turned into a delicate puree. The pumpkin itself, even mixed with the dough, will give the pancakes a very pronounced taste. And bright color. These pancakes smell amazing. If it's pumpkin harvesting season or you have some stock in the freezer, then it's time to start cooking.
You will need:
- flour - 200 grams,
- pumpkin - 200 grams,
- milk - 1 glass,
- eggs - 2 pieces,
- sugar - 4 tablespoons
- butter - 40 grams,
- baking powder - 10 grams,
- salt - a pinch.
1. To make delicious pumpkin pancakes, you must first prepare the pumpkin. We cannot use it raw, and boiled it will be too wet. The ideal option is to bake it in the oven at 180-200 degrees until it becomes soft.
2. Cool the pumpkin and puree it. You can grind it through a sieve, or you can take it and grind it with a blender. It is advisable to make it soft and smooth without pieces.
3. Beat eggs and sugar until foamy. If the pumpkin itself is sweet, then you can put in a little less sugar.
4. Melt the butter until liquid. Pour it into the egg mass. Add a pinch of salt. Add pumpkin puree. Stir everything until smooth.
5. Warm milk to at least room temperature, it should not be cold. Then pour it into the future dough and stir. Beat lightly.
6. Combine flour and dry baking powder. Sift everything together through a sieve straight into a bowl of dough. Mix everything until the lumps dissolve. In terms of consistency, the dough should be somewhere between the dough for pancakes and the dough for thin pancakes. It should spread slowly if poured onto a plane.
7. Bake classic pumpkin pancakes over medium heat in a dry skillet. If you are not sure, then smear with vegetable oil just before the first pancake, and then bake without oil. It is worth noting that for proper pancakes, the pan must be non-stick.
8. You need to turn the pancakes when the bottom side is completely browned. A lot of holes should appear on the top.
Well, that's done. Place them in piles, top them with your favorite sweet sauces and serve. Bon appetit and enjoy a healthy wholesome breakfast.
Chocolate pancakes with milk - a step by step recipe
And if you are a real sweet tooth and a chocolate lover, then the recipe most suitable for you is airy chocolate pancakes. This is no longer a dessert, but just a dream. Not a single child can refuse such a breakfast, and an adult is also unlikely to resist. Fresh fruit or whipped cream will turn pancakes into a cake. These pancakes really taste like a chocolate sponge cake. The main thing is to beat the dough well.
You will need:
- milk - 250 ml,
- flour - 175 grams,
- eggs - 2 pieces,
- butter - 30 grams,
- icing sugar - 3 tablespoons,
- cocoa - 3 tablespoons,
- salt - a pinch
- baking powder - 1 teaspoon.
1. The surest way to make fluffy chocolate pancakes is to beat the eggs and sugar well at the beginning. Feel free to turn them into a lush lather. This will make your pancakes look like little biscuits.
2. Combine flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa in a separate bowl. That is, all the dry ingredients for the dough, except sugar, which helps to beat the eggs.
3. Now combine the liquid part and the dry part. Gently pour the beaten eggs into a bowl of flour and stir until smooth. You can continue to do this with a mixer.
5. Melt the butter and pour into the dough. Stir again.
6. Leave the dough to stand for 10-15 minutes so that the flour and cocoa are well dissolved. Then you can bake the chocolate pancakes.
7. Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat it with oil. This is only necessary for the first batch of pancakes, then they will not stick.
8. Take a scoop or large spoon, the volume of which will give you the size of pancake you want. The dough for pancakes should be of medium thickness, approximately like condensed milk. It pours and spreads around, but at the same time it remains quite a thick layer.
9. Pour pancakes into the skillet one at a time or several if you are making them small. Try to make even circles of the same size. As soon as the top is covered with holes, lift up one pancake and check it is done. If the underside is ruddy, that is, dark brown, then it's time to turn it over. Raw pancakes of cocoa color with milk, and ready-made ones are more like chocolate.
Stack ready-made chocolate pancakes. Get out the most delicious fillings and sauces and invite everyone to tea. incredible dessert is ready!
Things to know (Q&A)
How do you make old fashioned pancakes from scratch?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- 2 + ¼ teaspoons baking powder.
- 1 + ½ tablespoons granulated sugar.
- ¼ teaspoon salt.
- 1 + ¼ cup milk.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted.
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1 large egg.
What makes pancakes fluffier?
SEPARATE AND BEAT EGG WHITES:
Right before cooking, fold in the egg white peaks into the batter, it's like folding in clouds! Don't fully combine and leave little bits of egg whites showing, it might seem too thick pouring them onto the pan but that's what makes the fluffiest pancakes !
What does milk do in pancakes?
Flavor aside, the purpose of milk in a pancake recipe is to dissolve the flour and other ingredients and to provide the liquid structure. This means that any liquid will do the trick.
How do you make Jamie Oliver American style pancakes?
- First separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter.
- Whisk the whites with 1 pinch of sea salt until they form stiff peaks, then fold into the batter – it is now ready to use.
Why my pancakes are not fluffy?
Using Crappy/Old Flour, Butter, Etc. ... That means mixing until the flour streaks have disappeared, but leaving the pesky lumps. If you over-mix, the gluten will develop from the flour in your batter, making your pancakes chewy instead of fluffy .
Should pancake batter be thick or runny?
BATTER The batter should be slightly lumpy (image below) and should pour easily but should not be runny . If it's too thick add milk a tablespoon or two at a time. If it's too runny or you've accidentally added too much liquid, you can add a bit of flour to get the right consistency.
Why are my homemade pancakes rubbery?
Over-mixing pancake batter develops the gluten that will make the pancakes rubbery and tough. For light, fluffy pancakes , you want to mix just until the batter comes together—it's okay if there are still some lumps of flour. Fat (melted butter) makes the pancakes rich and moist. 27
What is the secret ingredient in IHOP pancakes?
The batter isn't just used for pancakes
And apparently, that's thanks to a secret ingredient: Pancake batter . IHOP notes this right on their website — under a slew of other disclaimers for each of their omelettes is the statement: "Made with a splash of our famous buttermilk and wheat pancake batter !" 28
Is pancake mix better with water or milk?
Use milk / alternative milk instead of water
You may have to add a dash more due to the difference in consistency, but it'll taste so much better ! 27
Do you put eggs in pancake mix?
Some boxed pancake mixes already require you to add in a couple eggs , but if your pancake mix doesn't you absolutely should ! Adding eggs to your pancake mix will give the batter a better texture and flavor, more resemblant of homemade pancakes .
How do you make Mary Berry Pancakes?
- Sift 125g plain flour into a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Whisk together one egg, one yolk and a little milk taken from the 300ml, in a separate bowl.
- Pour into the well. ...
- Gradually whisk in half of the remaining milk, drawing in the rest of the flour with a little at a time, to make a smooth batter.
How do you make Nigella pancakes?
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder.
- 1 pinch of salt.
- 1 teaspoon white sugar.
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 30 grams butter (melted and cooled)
- 300 millilitres milk.
- 225 grams plain flour.
- butter for frying.