Roux is a fancy name for flour mixed with fat . Equal parts butter and flour get cooked over medium heat, then a liquid gets added. This mixture then boils, thickens (reduces), and becomes the base of your sauce.
Sauces typically contain a liquid, thickener and various flavorings and seasonings. French mother sauces use milk (béchamel sauce), white stock (veloute), brown stock (Espagnole), clarified butter (Hollandaise), and tomato (tomato sauce) as the liquid base for each type of sauce.
The five French mother sauces are béchamel, velouté, espagnole, hollandaise, and tomato .
The five French mother sauces are: Béchamel, Velouté, Espagnole, Hollandaise, and Tomato .
In cooking, a sauce is a liquid, cream, or semi-solid food, served on or used in preparing other foods . Most sauces are not normally consumed by themselves; they add flavor, moisture, and visual appeal to a dish. Sauce is a French word taken from the Latin salsa, meaning salted.
Sauces are the melding of ingredients including stocks, wine, aromatics, herbs and dairy into a harmonious taste. Most small sauces are based on the principle of reduction ; cooking down various liquids with aromatics, wine, and herbs, to meld, concentrate, and balance the flavor and consistency.
The major sauces are basically made of three components:
- A liquid, the body of the sauce. stocks, milk, fats,
- A thickening agent: roux, starch, liaison (cream, egg yolks,) vegetable purees, fat and sometimes blood, as used in Europe for wild game sauces,
- The flavoring and seasoning.
The five French mother sauces are béchamel, velouté, espagnole, hollandaise, and tomato
Week 12 -- Basic Sauces
- Five liquids or bases on which sauces are built: Milk, white stock (poultry or fish), brown stock (beef, pork, lamb), tomato, clarifiedbutter. ...
- The most frequently used sauces are based on stocks/broths of various kinds (chicken, beef, vegetable are most common)
What are the five mother sauces of classical cuisine?
- Béchamel. You may know béchamel sauce as the white sauce that gives chicken pot pie its creamy texture, or as the binder for all that cheese in macaroni and cheese. ...
- Velouté ...
- Espagnole. ...
- Sauce Tomate. ...
Sauces were often used to cover up the flavor of less-than-perfect meats, poultry and seafood. The five mother sauces include béchamel sauce, veloute sauce, brown or Espagnole sauce, Hollandaise sauce and tomato sauce .
Béchamel sauce is probably the simplest of the mother sauces because it doesn't require making stock. If you have milk, flour, and butter you can make a very basic béchamel.
Allemande, suprême, and white wine sauces are also known as the main small sauces.
In cooking, a sauce is a liquid, cream, or semi-solid food, served on or used in preparing other foods . Most sauces are not normally consumed by themselves; they add flavor, moisture, and visual appeal to a dish.
A sauce adds to the food it is served with in four different ways:
- Adds moisture and texture.
- Adds flavor and richness.
- Changes the appearance and contrasts.
- Creates interest and stimulates the appetite.
Ketchup * Catsup, ketchup, or catchup is a thick tomato-based sauce with the addition of salt, sugar, vinegar and spices.
Condiments are different in every culture.
A condiment is a sauce or seasoning that is applied by the consumer (not the cook) to customize the flavor of a dish.